The Broughton Reuse Project started in 2013 after local leaders became aware that State Department of Health and Human Services was planning to build a new Broughton Hospital and vacate the historic buildings that have housed the facility since 1883. Local government staff and community leaders petitioned State representatives to fund a proactive plan to reuse those buildings. In 2014, the NC General Assembly authorized the State Commerce Department to conduct a study of potential redevelopment opportunities for the historic campus and adjoining publicly owned land.
The legislation directed the Department of Commerce to coordinate the study in conjunction with the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Administration, the City of Morganton, and Burke County. To complete the study, Commerce engaged the Development Finance Initiative of the School of Government at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. DFI assembled a team of private sector development experts—architects, land planners, engineers, and general contractors—to help inform the analysis and produce this report.