From its inception in the 1930s until today, the Morganton Community House has served as a gathering place for clubs, civic groups, receptions and community functions in the City of Morganton and surrounding communities, and like any good community assembly, food has always been a centerpiece of the activities.
The Morganton Community House project was initiated in 1933 by members of the Morganton Women's Club. For some time, Morganton residents had believed that a local gathering place would be useful in the City, but for whatever reason, no group had set about to construct a building. That changed in November 1933 when President Franklin D. Roosevelt unveiled the Civil Works Administration (CWA). The CWA's goal was to create manual labor jobs for millions of unemployed workers during the Great Depression.