Morganton City Council meetings are broadcast live on CoMPAS Ch. 2 and streamed live online via the city's USTREAM . The Council meets at Morganton City Hall located at 305 E. Union St. Suite A100, Morganton, NC .
Watch more City of Morganton videos @ www.youtube.com/user/cityofmorgantonnc .
Photos from the meeting are usually added the day after the meeting.
September 10, 2018
Ronnie Thompson, Mayor Sally W. Sandy, City Manager
Louis E. Vinay, Jr., City Attorney
Wendy Cato )
Forrest A. Fleming ) Council
Christopher Hawkins )
Sidney Simmons ) Becky Brinkley, Interpreter
I. Call to Order in the Council Chamber at City Hall at 6:00 p.m.
II. Public Comment – 6:00 - 6:15 p.m.
Anyone wishing to speak during this time must sign in with the Clerk before the meeting begins, and upon being called will have 3 minutes to address the Council.
III. Business of the Council begins at 6:15 p.m.
IV. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
V. Invocation Given by the Rev. Carol Morgan, Chaplain, J. Iverson Riddle Developmental Center
VI. Introduction of Council
VII. Service Pin
• Cheryl Benton, Lab Supervisor, Water Resources, 30 years
VIII. Public Advocacy Issues and Strategies
a. Proclamation: Constitution Week 2018
b. Proclamation: Recovery Month 2018
Accepted by: Kim James, Burke Recovery
c. WPCOG: New Bus Routes
Presented by: Brian D. Horton, Transportation Planning Manager
d. Upcoming events:
The Sauce Boss, Thursday, September 13, 7:00 p.m.
The Hot Sardines, Tuesday, September 18, 7:30 p.m.
Aaron Tippin, Saturday, September 22, 7:30 p.m.
• Farmers Markets continue on Saturdays and Wednesdays
• Revolutionary War Weekend, September 29-30
IX. North Carolina Municipal Power Agency Number 1 Update
X. Consent Agenda – All items below are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Council member, staff member or citizen so requests. In the event a request is made, the item will be removed from the consent agenda and considered under Item XII.
A. Approval of Minutes – For a Regular Meeting held on August 6, 2018.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve minutes as submitted.
B. Consideration of Tax Releases in the Amount of $3,322.11
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve tax releases in the amount of $3,322.11.
C. Consideration of Award of Contracts for Purchase and Approve a Resolution to Award a Financing Contract for a Backhoe and Knuckleboom Truck
RECOMMENDED ACTIONS: Award a contract for the purchase of a Caterpillar backhoe from Carolina Cat in the amount of $114,988.
Award a contract for the purchase of a Peterson knuckleboom truck from Transource in the amount of $218,485.
Adopt a resolution awarding a financing contract to BB&T for $335,489 at an interest rate of 3.04% for a period of four years
D. Consideration of Entering Into a 5-year Agreement with Conterra
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve entering into a 5 year agreement with Conterra for 1 Gbps Connectivity with DDos mitigation to our Headend burstable to 10GB for a backup circuit at a cost of $2,500.
E. Consideration of a Resolution Granting Signing Authority / Green Street Revitalization Catalyst Project
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a resolution granting signing authority to Requisition for ARC Funds for the Green Street Revitalization Catalyst Project.
F. Consideration of Award of Bids for Concrete and Paving Projects at Martin Luther King, Jr. Park
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Authorize and contract in the amount of $43,000 with J&E Concrete construction, LLC of Harmony, North Carolina to construct the Martin Luther King Park sidewalk plan.
Authorize and contract in the amount of approximately $15,549.40 with Evans Construction of Connelly Springs, North Carolina to construct the outdoor basketball court at Martin Luther Kind Park adjacent to Mountain View Recreation Center.
G. Consideration to Reject All Bids for the Bouchelle Street and Fleming Place Sewer Line Improvements Project
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Reject all bids and re-bid the Bouchelle Street and Fleming Place Sewer Line Improvements Project.
XI. Items Removed from Consent Agenda
XII. New Business
A. Public Hearings
1. Public Hearing for Consideration of Entering into a Local Economic Development Incentive Agreement and Approved Building Reuse Payment / Jackson Corrugated, LLC aka Project JP3
2. Public Hearing and Consideration of an Amendment to City of Morganton Zoning Ordinance for Mobile Food Vendors
B. Other Business
1. Consideration of Calling for Public Hearing to Consider Economic Development Agreement and of Resolution to Apply for Building Re-Use Grant / Project Copy
2. Consideration of Calling for a Public Hearing for a Development Incentive Grant (DIG) for the Hotel at 400 North Green Street
3. Consideration of Approval of a Main Street Solutions Fund Grant Agreement for a Downtown Hotel and Approval of a Sub-recipient Agreement with Morganton Lodging Associates, LP
4. Consideration of Assignment of Lease for 112 West Union Street aka Yianni’s Restaurant Building
5. Consideration of Ordinance Amendment / Animals in Parks
6. Consideration of a Sidewalk Encroachment with Belton Phifer, LLC at 111 East Union Street
XIII. Other Items from City Manager and City Council Not on Agenda
Minutes for this meeting will be posted after they are approved by the City Council. The Council normally approves minutes during the following Council meeting.